TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) -- Kids get all kinds of candy when they're out trick-or-treating, of course. But there are some things parents need to know before their children start chowing down.
Dr. Brian Allen from Capital Regional Medical Center joined us on WTXL Sunrise, giving advice on allergic reactions and choking hazards.
Symptoms of an allergic reaction include rash and difficulty breathing. Treatment includes Benadryl, but there could come a point when parents should seek out professional help.
Dr. Allen says to help prevent allergic reactions, be aware of ingredients of the candy your kids are eating and be sure to look for any known allergens.
Another accident this time of year especially can be choking hazards. Knowing what Halloween candy is appropriate for what age can help limit this risk.
When it comes to over-indulging on your trick-or-treat haul, coping with nausea can be key. Dr. Allen says Prevent by limiting how much is eaten at a given time. Treat with fluids and bowel rest.
For more information on Capital Regional Medical Center, call (850) 878-8235.