TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- The Tallahassee Fire Department is asking all residents, near and far, to be extremely careful if they're putting on their own fireworks show this New Year's Eve.
According to the department, more than half the firework related injuries in the U.S. involve children under 15 years old. They say the safest, best way to enjoy fireworks is not to do it yourself, but to leave it to the professionals.
If you must use legal fireworks at home, the Tallahassee Fire Department recommends the following tips:
- Any firework that explodes or leaves the ground is illegal, unless it has the “Class C - Common Fireworks” stamp.
- When using fireworks, have a bucket of water or sand nearby to dispose of spent fireworks.
- An adult should always be present to supervise the use of fireworks.
- Just because the fireworks are legal does not mean that they are safe.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix, always have a designated shooter.
- Fireworks are intended for outdoor use only.
For more information on fireworks safety visit www.talgov.com/fire.