NewsLocal News

Actions

Kitchen fire on Gearhart road causes estimated $50K damage

Fire 1
Posted at 12:41 PM, Jan 16, 2013
and last updated 2013-01-16 08:27:59-05

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- A kitchen fire on Gearhart Road in Tallahassee caused an estimated $50,000 in damage, according to local fire officials.

Firefighters responded to the fire at 11:08 a.m. When they arrived at the home at 4965 Gearhart Road, they were able to extinguish the blaze.

Firefighters say the fire was caused by a pot left unattended on the stove. One person was home at the time of the fire. He was asleep, but was awakened by a neighbor, who noticed fire coming from the home.

The Red Cross was called to assist the occupant who is displaced as a result of the fire.