MONTICELLO, Fla. (WTXL) — A Monticello funeral home has been destroyed after a fire Friday morning.
We're told Jefferson County fire crews were at the Tillman Funeral Home on East York Street at 7:45 a.m.
The Tillman Funeral Home is a staple in the Monticello community. It has been around since 1931, but Friday morning, a fire broke out destroying it.
The funeral home director says the fire is believed to be due to an electrical short in the bathroom vent. Jefferson County Fire Rescue put the fire out at about 9:30 a.m. Friday.
People filled the streets to check on the director and his business. His phone wouldn't stop ringing either.
None of the bodies were touched by the fire and so far no injuries have been reported. So far, funeral homes out of Tallahassee and Monticello have reached out to help.
There were funerals planned for this weekend. The director told us that arrangements have already been made and they've already reached out to those families to let them know the homegoing ceremony will still happen.
The owner says they will operate out of Beggs Funeral Home in Monticello and their Tallahassee location until the home is rebuilt.
A Monticello funeral home has been destroyed after a fire broke out Friday morning.
Jefferson County Fire Rescue responded to the scene around 7:44 a.m. Friday at Tillman Funeral Home on East York Street and arrived within three minutes.
The blaze was successfully extinguished by 9:30 a.m., but the building was declared a total loss. Officials say the fire was started by an electrical short in a bathroom ventilation fan.
Tillman Funeral Home is temporarily partnering with Beggs Funeral Home in Monticello.
No injuries were reported in the fire.