NewsLocal News

Actions

TFD extinguishes late night fire in College Town apartment

Posted: 11:50 AM, Nov 08, 2019
Updated: 2019-11-08 11:51:03-05
Fire

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) — The Tallahassee Fire Department says an unattended candled caused a bathroom fire at an apartment complex in College Town.

According to TFD, firefighters responded to a report of a building fire at the Catalyst Apartments in College Town just after 11 p.m. on Thursday night.

When they arrived on scene, crews found the fire coming form a third-floor apartment bathroom.

TFD says crews swiftly extinguished the fire while also searching nearby apartments to confirm that everyone evacuated safely.

They say the cause of the fire was an unattended candle.

Damage was only was contained to the area of origin, according to TFD.

However due to two activated fire sprinklers, there is significant water damage and the cost of that damage is currently unknown.

Fortunately no injuries were reported and TFD was assisted on scene by the Tallahassee Police Department and Leon County EMS.

TFD says they would like to remind everyone to be careful when burning candles and to remember the following tips:

  • Always blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
  • Keep candles at least 1 foot away from anything that can burn.
  • Always evacuate quickly when the fire alarm is activated.