TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) — In an effort to improve pedestrian and bike safety around the Capital City, the Tallahassee Police Department will begin conducting proactive patrols in 10 different areas.
From Thursday through February 2021, TPD will conducting the patrols as part of a High Visibility Enforcement (HVE) Detail. Their goal is to increase compliance and awareness of traffic laws in areas with a high number of traffic crashes.
"The Tallahassee Police Department is committed to ensuring the safety of pedestrians and bicyclists through education and visibility," TPD wrote in a press release sent late Thursday afternoon. "Leon County is one of the top 25 counties in the state for traffic crashes resulting in serious and fatal injuries to pedestrians and bicyclists."
Their increased patrols will focus primarily on educating drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists. However, they warn that violations may result in warnings or citations depending on the circumstances.
TPD will be patrolling the following areas at the specified dates and times:
- West Pensacola Street from Appleyard Drive to White Drive from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Wednesdays and Fridays
- West Tennessee Street from Dewey Street to North Adams Street from 8 a.m. to 2 a.m. on Wednesdays and Fridays
- West Tennessee Street from Ocala Road to West Brevard Street from 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
- Apalachee Parkway from Linda Ann Drive to Capital Circle Southeast from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Mondays and Sundays
- Apalachee Parkway from Idlewild Drive to East Copper Creek Drive from 5 - 9 p.m. on Mondays and Thursdays
- North Monroe Street from Balsam Terrace to Callaway Road from noon to midnight on Wednesdays and Thursdays
- Capital Circle Northwest from West Tennessee Street to Peddie Drive from 2 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
- West Tennessee Street from Lukeman Lane to Junco Court from 2 p.m. to 3 a.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays
- Capital Circle Southeast from Highland Oak Terrace to Crescent Drive from 7 - 9 p.m. on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays
- Old Bainbridge Road from Dover Street to West Tharpe Street from 2 - 9 p.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Sundays