NewsLocal News


Suspect was on phone with family during six hour stand-off in Leon County

Posted at 5:19 PM, Sep 19, 2019
and last updated 2019-09-19 17:19:05-04

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — We are now learning more about what was going on inside the home of Gabriel Rouse during the six hour stand-off on Wednesday.

We spoke to Kayla Standley who calls Rouse her dad.

She said she was video chatting with him during the stand-off with law enforcement and was the last one to talk to him before he was shot and killed.

"I tried to call him and he answered, we video chatted for a good few minutes. He was telling me what all happened," said Standley.

Standley says she was on the phone with her Gabe while Leon County deputies were surrounding his home on Little John Road, to arrest him on domestic violence charges.

"I just know it was domestic related, through that we were able to obtain probable cause for his arrest and that's what we came out here to do," said Leon County Sheriff's Office deputy Dave Teems.

Standley says she tried to get her Gabe to cooperate with deputies, but Rouse had other plans.

"When he was on video chat with me, he never fired directly at law enforcement he was shooting in the air, he was trying to make it seem like he was shooting at them so they would fire back," said Standley. "He said that he wasn't a threat to the cops, he didn't want to hurt nobody. He said he just wanted to be gone and didn't want to go back to prison."

It led to a six hour standoff with law enforcement.

"There has literally been dozens of shots not only towards our deputies but just randomly shooting," said Teems. "I told you already he'd been shooting through the trailer and as deputies were trying to bring a peaceful resolution for this he began shooting at the deputies themselves."

Both Standley and law enforcement say they wish it would have ended differently.

"Somehow our video chat got cut off and I had tried to get back in touch with him but then when I was pulling into work somebody had called and confirmed that they shot and killed him," said Standley.

"Unfortunately this is the situation that no officer wants to be involved in this," said Teems. "They were doing what they could to keep the community as safe as possible and I think residents can sleep better knowing that we were out here to make sure that they were as safe as they could possibly be."

LCSO says the investigation is still on-going. We also know that the deputy who shoot Rouse is now on administrative leave.