(WTXL) — Gov. Ron DeSantis has suspended all official travel for state employees for the next 30 days and is telling state agencies to “maximize remote working and telecommuting.”
Thursday, DeSantis held a press conference at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami.
During the press conference, DeSantis addressed the coronavirus spread in Florida and made several recommendations regarding "social distancing" to prevent the spread of the disease.
The governor also announced that he was suspending all official travel for state employees for at least the next 30 days. He also recommended that state agencies try to “maximize remote working and telecommuting” for workers.
“If they can perform functions at home, now would be a good time to do that,” DeSantis said.
DeSantis also announced that the state is purchasing an additional 2,500 COVID-19 testing kits to distribute to hospitals and labs around the state.
CDC always recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases, including:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Follow CDC’s recommendations for using a facemask.
- CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.
- Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to others. The use of facemasks is also crucial for health workers and people who are taking care of someone in close settings (at home or in a health care facility).
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
You can watch the press conference below: