TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) — January is the start of the new year, but it's also the most common month that fire departments see fires caused by space heaters.
Space heaters are popular around this time of year thanks to changing temperatures.
Deputy Chief Richard Jones of the Tallahassee Fire department says that this could be some people's only way of heating their house.
They need to use common sense, and just understand space heaters need space, that's the main thing the Tallahassee fire department wants to get out there. Keep them away from combustibles make sure you keep children away from them and pets so they don't get knocked over don't leave them unattended and don't leave them plugged in," said Deputy Chief Richard Jones.
The Tallahassee Fire Department also wants to remind you to plug space heaters directly into the wall, NOT into an extension cord.