VALDOSTA, Ga.(WTXL) — The City of Valdosta and Lowndes County are taking steps to upgrade their protocols to limit the spread of coronavirus.
The updated order is forcing the closure of hair and nail salons, body waxing, tanning salons, tattoo parlors, massage therapy and other personal grooming businesses.
Officials say the order will be effective immediately in Lowndes County, Valdosta, Hahira and Lake Park and will last through April 6.
In addition, officials are asking that city residents avoid coming to city buildings for non-essential reasons.
The City has also chosen to cancel several upcoming City-hosted public events as a precaution.
The Municipal Court will also be closed for the next thirty days. Officials say court staff will be available by phone and email to answer any questions from the community.
Beginning Wednesday, all Mathis City Auditorium events will be postponed for at least 30 days.
The Southern Judicial Circuit, which includes Lowndes County, has suspended jury trials and gathering of the grand jury.
Lowndes County has suspended rentals of the 4-H Camp in Lake Park and the Lowndes County Civic Center, located on Highway 84 East.
“We are constantly getting questions from our citizens asking how they can help. As a community we must work together to take preventive steps identified by the CDC,” said County Commission Chairman Bill Slaughter. “During this time it is also crucial to remember to keep supporting our local small businesses. Our local industries, businesses, retailers, restaurants, etc. need our support now more than ever.”
Government officials are encouraging residents to take the following preventative measures to keep you and others safe and healthy:
• Stay home if you are sick, especially if you have a fever.
• Frequently wash your hands with soap and hot water for at least 20 seconds.
• Refrain from shaking hands or hugging.
• Use hand sanitizer regularly, after shaking hands or touching surfaces, when hand washing is not available.
• Keep hands away from face – In particular, refrain from touching eyes, nose, and mouth.
• Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue to cough or sneeze, and discard it in a lined trash can.
• Wipe/disinfect surfaces – door knobs, hand rails, doors, sinks, desk tops, steering wheels, phones, keyboards, tablets, etc.
• Practice “social distancing”
For up to date information regarding health and safety protocols, please click here.