LEON COUNTY, Fla. (WTXL) — Leon County announced the following County facilities will close effective Saturday, March 14 through Sunday, March 29:
- Leon County Main Library and all County branch library locations
- All County Community Centers
- All County pavilions and event space rentals
- All County active park recreation facilities (baseball, soccer, etc.), meaning Little League activities are suspended until Sunday, March 29 at the earliest
Leon County said the closures are consistent with Governor Ron DeSantis' order to close Florida schools, as well as guidance from the Center for Disease Control to mitigate the transmission of disease,
The county said the closures will not affect Leon County early voting in any way.
“In the face of a global pandemic, we know that our local decisions may disrupt lives, but they will also save lives,” said Leon County Commission Chairman Bryan Desloge. “Through specific closures, we are supporting our community’s overall health and safety. The best way we can serve our citizens is by minimizing exposure of our most vulnerable populations to any possible infection.”
All passive park recreation sites, such as greenways, trails, and other outdoor hiking, shall reopen to the public.
Consistent with CDC guidance, outdoor recreation does not require close social contact and may still occur.
“By closing select County facilities and operations, we can do our part in a coordinated national, state, and local effort to stem the transmission of disease,” said Vincent S. Long, Leon County Administrator. “All other County buildings and essential services will remain open so that the critical work of our community can continue.”
For County libraries:
- All late fees will be suspended and due dates will be extended during the closure period.
- Leon County libraries will continue to offer many different e-book and online offerings at www.LeonCountyLibrary.org [lnks.gd] .
- Library staff at the main library will continue to answer the phone during normal business hours at (850) 606-2665. Staff will be available to assist customers with reference questions or other technical assistance.
- All library locations will be thoroughly sanitized before reopening.
For County Community Centers and any other space rentals:
- Any rental fees will be fully refunded.
- During normal business hours, Parks and Recreation can be reached at (850) 606-1470.
At this time, the Florida Department of Health says everyone should remain informed about COVID-19.
To assist, the FDOH has activated a 24/7 COVID-19 call center at (866) 779-6121.
Leon County residents can also call the County Health Department at (850) 404-6300, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For Florida-specific COVID-19 information, the FDOH website: www.FLHealth.gov/COVID-19 [lnks.gd] .
Also, the most up-to-date critical information from the Emergency Operations Center can be found on the County's Emergency Information Portal at www.LeonCountyFL.gov/EI [lnks.gd] .
The site includes local updates as well as the best sources of information from FDOH, the World Health Organization, and the Center for Disease Control.