(WTXL) — People around the Big Bend and South Georgia area are celebrating Christmas by hosting parades for the community, giving away special gifts to children and seniors, and even hanging up lights.
Here's what's going on in our community this Christmas:
- Start off the holiday season with the Annual Downtown Thomasville Christmas Parade starting at 6 p.m. on Dec.2.
Local businesses, schools, and religious groups hand out candy and sing carols down Broad St and Smith Ave.
The parade will end at the FARMER'S MARKET this year!
- Victorian Christmas Parade, this two day event is Thursday, December 12 and Friday, December 13 from 6-9 pm.
You can shop, dine, and welcome the holiday season in Downtown Thomasville. For a full list of events click here.
-Valdosta Kicks Off Holiday Season, on Dec. 6 with holiday events including Christmas Tree Lighting and Community Parade.
The fully-decorated 30-foot Christmas tree located on the Lee Street Grass Lot, located at the corner of Lee Street and Central Avenue.
-Bainbirdge Christmas Parade on Decmber 12 from 6: 30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. It begins at Wheat Avenue and continues down Shotwell Street, ending with a visit from the Big Guy himself in WIllis Park!
- Moultrie Christmas Parade on Dec.12 at 6 p.m.
The Festival of Lights Christmas Parade will light up the sky as it makes its way downtown.
This traditional parade is becoming known as one of the largest in South Georgia.
Bring your friends and family to celebrate the 2019 Theme: "A Christmas to Remember."
Christmas Tree Lighting
-Valdosta State University hosts its annual Holiday Celebration and Lighting of the Palms at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 3, on the West Hall Front Lawn.
- Dec. 1 is the first night of "Lights Along the River" in Bainbridge.
It runs every night of December (until the 31st). At the Earle May Boat Basin.
Open nightly December 1-31, 2019. Free admission.
- Tallahassee Winter Festival on Saturday, December 7, 2019 from 3:00pm - 10:00pm.
Lighting Ceremony at 6 p.m. at the Judge's Platform, on S. Monroe St. at Bloxham Park.
The Jingle Bell Run stars at 6:15pm (Following Lighting Ceremony) on the Corner of Park Ave. at S. Monroe Street .
The Nighttime Holiday Parade at 7:15 pm on N. Monroe St. at Tennessee St. to S. Monroe St. at Madison St
- Ice Skating in Downtown Valdosta! The fun begins on Wednesday, December 18th on the corner of Lee Street and Central Ave. in Downtown Valdosta!
Kids 12 & under are $5 each and kids 13 & up $10 each. Skates INCLUDED!
-Come see Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus and a whole elf entourage at the beautifully decorated Dorothy B. Oven Park where over 250,000 lights twinkle against the night sky.
The annual Elf Night is happening Thursday, Dec. 19, from 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- The Annual Soul Santa event in Tallahassee will be held on Friday, Dec. 20, from 2-6 p.m.
At the LeVerne Payne Community Center, 450 W. Fourth St.
The second part of the event will be held on Saturday, Dec. 21, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
At the Walker-Ford Community Center, 2301 Pasco St.
- Mayor's Christmas Motorcade Brings Cheer to Parkwood Patients.
On Wednesday, Dec. 4, at 10:00 a.m., Mayor John Gayle, will deliver gifts to more than 100 patients—ages 7 to 73.
LIVE OAK, Fla.
- The 35th annual Christmas on the Square three day even taking place Dec.5-7.
This celebration includes a ribbon cutting, jingle bell run, and annual arts & Crafts show.