NewsLocal News


FSU students now have option to receive satisfactory/unsatisfactory grade for eligible courses

Only applies to undergraduate students
Florida State University
Posted at 2:50 PM, Mar 25, 2020
and last updated 2020-03-25 14:56:14-04

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) — On Wednesday, Florida State University announced that they will allow students to individually opt to receive a satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U) grade for eligible courses instead of a letter grade.

While undergraduate courses that now use letter grades will continue to use letter grades, students may individually opt to receive a S/U grade for eligible courses instead for the 2020 spring semester.

"This is an unprecedented time in Florida State University’s history as the entire campus has moved to remote learning, and we realize this may be a difficult adjustment for some students," officials wrote in a statement.

Students enrolled in undergraduate courses may request S/U in eligible courses beginning at 9 a.m. ET Monday, March 30. All requests for the S/U option must be submitted no later than 11:59 p.m. ET Sunday, April 12.

"To be clear, students may not opt for S/U status after 11:59 p.m. ET Sunday, April 12," officials clarified.

FSU students may choose to change one or all of their classes to S/U grading. It is not required that students change anything if they want to continue receiving a letter grade for any or all of their eligible undergraduate classes.

The school says the students who request the S/U option will be informed how their choice may affect financial aid, progress toward degree, and other factors.

Students are also encouraged to consult their instructors as to what would constitute an “S” or “U” in each class as it may be different from class to class.

Academic advisors will also be available help students in the decision-making process should students have more questions.

The grading policy for graduate courses will not change. All graduate courses will receive letter grades. Students in professional programs should check with their respective colleges for any grading policy changes.

To request S/U in classes that use letter grades, see instructions on How to Change Letter Grades to S/U Grades.