TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) — President Donald Trump has extended full federal funding of Florida's National Guard COVID-19 response days before it was going to run out.
Set to end date on Aug. 7, Trump announced in a publicly available memo full federal funding for guard missions in most states will continue until Aug. 21. After that date, most states are expected to pay 25 percent of the cost and the Federal Emergency Management Agency will take the other 75 percent.
However, Trump issued a memorandum providing Florida with full federal funding for the guard's continued response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Governor Ron DeSantis thanked the president in a tweet Tuesday night.
President @RealDonaldTrump has issued a memorandum providing Florida with full federal funding for the @FLGuard’s continued response to the #COVID19 pandemic. Thanks to @POTUS for his continued support of our state. Florida’s guardsmen and women are the best in the nation!— Ron DeSantis (@GovRonDeSantis) August 4, 2020
Only Florida and Texas received full funding, while the remaining states will receive 75 percent from the federal government.
The decision was hailed by officials in Austin and Tallahassee but prompted accusations that the White House is playing politics.