TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Gov. Ron DeSantis has banned nursing homes from accepting visitors for 30 days except when a patient is near death.
Health officials announced two more deaths as the state banned most visitors from Florida nursing homes. They believe the coronavirus has likely spread into the general population.
During Saturday’s press conference, DeSantis also requested the following:
- Health and Human Services send home the 61 Floridians that were previously aboard the Grand Princess cruise line, home from isolation from Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Georgia.
- Department of Health to hire additional epidemiologists from university health programs to help with workload.
- Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA) to extend all existing nursing home and ALF licenses for 90 days to remove distraction from patient care.
- Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles to suspend drivers’ license renewal requirements for 30 days.
- All agencies to suspend for 30 days licensing and registration renewal requirements for existing processional licenses (e.g. realtors).