TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) — Christmas Eve will be the night to crank up the heat, but for many, that might not be an option.
Tallahassee Fire Department said one of the most dangerous things people do is turn the oven on and open the oven door to heat their houses.
Captain Robert Clary said that's never a good idea because gas stoves can cause a carbon monoxide leak while electric ones can malfunction and ignite.
"Kitchen fires are the number one cause of damage in our area but heating fires are second. Naturally, when we get cold weather, of course, the fires go up because people are trying to heat their homes. But they have to do it in a safe manner to make sure their home doesn't catch on fire," said Captain Clary.
Tallahassee Fire Department has responded to 13 house fires this holiday season.
TFD highlights the importance of fire safety at this time of year with the Keep the Wreath Green display at Dorothy B. Oven Park.
There are 50 green lights on the wreath. Each time there is a fire a bulb is replaced with a red one.
To make sure more bulbs aren't changed, TFD is giving more reminders.
Captain Robert Clary also said to never leave your heating source unattended and don't fall asleep with them running, this includes electric blankets.
When you turn your heat on, there's a chance that you may smell the dust that has collected since last winter, but that shouldn't be a cause for concern.
But there are other issues in your heating system that you will want a professional to look at.
"It's getting to be colder weather and we want to be sure that before we light up the fireplace or the space heater that it's working properly. You should have them cleaned and inspected every year to make sure that they're going to work," said Captain Clary.
This is especially important if you have a fireplace, and a Chimney Sweep should come out to inspect it before the first use of the season.