NewsLocal News


Crews respond to early morning house fire in Jefferson County

Posted at 8:11 AM, Jan 22, 2020
and last updated 2020-01-22 17:33:20-05

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Fla. (WTXL) — Authorities say a space heater may have been the cause of a structure fire that destroyed a home in Jefferson County early Wednesday morning.

According to Jefferson County Fire Rescue, crews responded to a structure fire Wednesday morning on St. Augustine Road.

Crews say the resident woke up to flames inside of his home.

The fire department says a space heater was left unattended in the living room.

"The number one rule for space heaters are for personal heat and not supposed to left on in a room unattended which was the problem it was left on overnight," said Derrick Burrus, the Fire Chief of the Jefferson County Fire Department.

No injuries were reported in the fire.