News

Actions

Jonathan Ferrell's Family Files Lawsuit In Shooting Death

Jonathan Ferrell
Posted at 2:28 PM, Jan 14, 2014
and last updated 2015-08-26 17:35:50-04

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) The family of former FAMU football player Jonathan Ferrell announced that they have filed suit against Randall Kerrick, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Rodney Monroe, Mecklenburg County and the city of Charlotte.

Ferrell was killed last year after he was shot 10 times by CMPD Officer Kerrick.  Kerrick was one of the three officers who responded to a 9-1-1 call by a woman who claimed someone was trying to break into her home.

When the officers arrived, Ferrell began running towards them seeking help.  Ferrell had reportedly just been in a car accident.

When Ferrell failed to obey the officer's request to get on the ground, Kerrick fired a dozen shots, 10 of those shots hitting Ferrell.  Neither of the other two officers fired any shots.

Kerrick was later charged with voluntary manslaughter after investigators concluded that Ferrell was simply seeking help after the accident.

"There's absolutely no evidence at all that would support any claim that Jon posed a threat to the health and safety to anyone that night," said Charles Monnett, the family's attorney.  "This was a man whose family was law enforcement. There's absolutely no reason to believe that he would have any reason to be aggressive toward those officers. He simply wanted help."

Ferrell's family say that they have not received any additional information regarding the case.  His mother, Georgia Ferrell, says the incident should have never happened.

"How do I feel sitting here? I feel I shouldn't be here," said Ferrell.  "My son was only here for an education to better his life, to better our life, to be with his fiance, and it was only sticking to the ... if feel I shouldn't be here. This should have never happened."

Officer Kerrick is scheduled to appear in court February 11.