Jacksonville Boy Hospitalized After Shirt Set on Fire By Another Child

Posted at 7:19 AM, Feb 09, 2015
and last updated 2015-02-09 07:19:00-05

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Police say an 8-year-old Jacksonville boy was hospitalized after his shirt was accidentally set on fire by another child playing with a cigarette lighter.

Lt. Mike Eason of the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office says the boy was among three children waiting in a car Sunday evening for their aunt to finish shopping in a nearby store.

Eason tells The Florida Times-Union ( ) that a 12-year-old boy in the car was playing with a cigarette lighter when he accidentally set the younger boy's shirt on fire. Adults in the store extinguished the flames and called authorities.

Eason says the 8-year-old's injuries initially appeared to be life-threatening, but he was later upgraded to serious condition.

The children's names were not released because of their ages.