News

Actions

InTown Suites Evacuated After Suspicious Fire in Valdosta

lights
Posted at 5:00 AM, Jun 24, 2015
and last updated 2015-06-25 11:20:12-04

VALDOSTA, Ga. (WTXL)-- A motel room caught fire at the InTown Suites in Valdosta, and police say is appears the occupants were trying to make meth. 

The fire happened around noon Wednesday, according to the Valdosta Police Department. They say the damage was mostly in the bathroom, but some other rooms may have some smoke damage.

Edward Cowart and Angel Howell were both arrested and charged with procession of methamphetamine and possession of items with intent to manufacture methamphetamine.

Police say that residents were allowed to go back to most rooms not damaged by the fire.

InTown Suites made a statement saying, "We are aware of a small room fire that occurred today at our Valdosta, GA location and are assisting local authorities in their investigation into this matter.  The safety of our guests and employees is our primary concern and we want to sincerely thank the Valdosta Fire Department and other first responders for their quick response to this incident.  We are working hard to have guests back safely in their rooms as quickly as possible."

If you have any information, you're asked to call the Valdosta Police Department at (229) 293-3091 or (229) 293-3145.