TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) - Generators can help people avoid a major inconvenience during a power outage and in some cases, even be a life-saver.
Something many residents are experiencing now after Hurricane Michael.
But there is a dark side to generators if used or installed improperly that can cost you your life.
Whether it's a portable or standby generator, both produce carbon monoxide gas, which can kill if inhaled. Fire and electrocution are also potential dangers.
The Red Cross has some tips on to use your generator safely.
Never use your generator anywhere indoors even if the area is ventilated.
Portable generators placed outside should not be near doors, vents or open windows. Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed in case CO is accidentally released.
"They should always be placed outside that includes keeping them outside your garage. Use inside can build up carbon monoxide which is a very poisonous gas that you can't smell and can't see it," said Kevin Peters with Leon County Emergency Management. "Again use your generator outside, outdoors away from any windows doors or vents."
To avoid electrocution, keep the generator dry, and do not use in rain or wet conditions, and do not touch the generator with wet hands.
For a full list of tips on generator safety, click here.