Homeowners Displaced after Unattended Cooking Starts a Fire

Fire truck
Posted at 11:23 AM, Mar 27, 2017
and last updated 2017-03-27 07:55:47-04

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) - Firefighters say that homeowners on Tallahassee's south side have been displaced after their home caught on fire this morning.

The Tallahassee Fire Department said that they were called to building fire around 6:45 a.m. on Monday. When crews arrived to the home on Gunn Street, they found heavy smoke coming from the inside.

They said that firefighters worked quickly to bring the fire under control to prevent further damage. 

TFD said that no one was injured. They say the occupants inside had escaped from the home prior to firefighters' arrival.

Firefighters on scene determined the fire was started by food in the stove. They say damages are estimated at $40,000.

Red Cross was called for the occupants that were displaced due to the fire.

The Tallahassee Fire Department says that they want to remind citizens to always be mindful while cooking in their homes.