TALLAHASSEE, FL (WTXL) - If you're seeing red on Friday, there's a reason why. It was National Wear Red Day to help raise awareness of heart disease in women.
Go Red For Women and the American Heart Association asked for the support of this cause by wearing red Friday.
The American Heart Association says that each year, one in three women die from heart disease - making it the number one killer of women. They also say that the symptoms of a heart attack are often misunderstood.
There are ways that the American Heart Association says that people can go red:
- Ask your doctor to check your blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose.
- Stop smoking, lose weight, be physically active and eat healthy.
- Advocate for more women-related research and education.
- Make healthy food choices for you & your family. Teach your kids the importance of staying active.
- Show your support with a donation of time or money.
You can find out more information about National Wear Red Day and heart disease among women here.