News

Actions

Guntersville makes road improvements to ease congestion

Guntersville Road Improvements
Posted at 7:48 PM, Mar 24, 2015
and last updated 2016-04-15 04:27:30-04

GUNTERSVILLE, Ala. (WAAY) - A few months ago, Guntersville's first Publix opened for business.

The store is in a very busy area at the corner of Highway 79 and 431. To keep everyone safe, the city made improvements. Juanza Gilbert works at a nearby gas station and says it's about time.

"I am so glad they are making it safer. You don't want the city to have a name or be known for wrecks because the city won't fix the roads. I'm hoping it will help" Gilbert said.

Workers installed four new turning lanes and also put up a new traffic light. It was all done to ease congestion near Publix and increase safety for drivers. Those upgrades are being appreciated by many residents like Lauren King.

"Making those improvements to make it safer I have no problem with and I think its a great thing to make those improvements" King said.

Last January an Albertville woman was killed in a car crash on the Stockton Causeway.

The State paid 80 percent for the road improvement job. The City of Guntersville funded the other 20 percent.