MIDWAY, Fla. (WTXL) - The holiday season is in full swing and the Gadsden County Sheriff's Office is offering a few shopping safety tips.
Households receiving deliveries can be targets of theft, so if you are not home to receive the packages here are a few tips:
- Send the package to the residence of a trusted friend or relative who you know will be home. Be sure that the friend is ready and waiting to retrieve the package when the doorbell rings and be on the lookout in case the doorbell doesn't ring.
- Ask the package delivery company to hold the package if you will not be home (many have local delivery centers).
- Request that your package is marked “signature required.” This requires the delivery person to stand by and wait until you’re available to retrieve the package.
- Leave special instructions with the delivery company on where to deliver the package. A good place is on the side or back of the house, so that the package is out of sight from the road.
- Use a company that provides a tracking service and check online to see when it is scheduled to arrive.
- Have the items shipped to the nearest store for “in-store pick up".
- If you work somewhere that would let you ship packages there, you may want to consider this option.
Gadsden County Sheriff's Office and WTXL ABC 27 encourages everyone to be safe this holiday season.