PERRY, FL (WTXL) -- There was an accidental release of chlorine dioxide at the Buckeye Technologies Perry Plant at 8:45 am.
The leak occurred near highway 30 at the east gate of the plant. The sheriff department was notified and asked to shut down the highway to traffic coming into the mill.
Plant personnel responded immediately. The release was stopped around 9:45 am and the all-clear signal was given at 11:08am.
Chlorine dioxide is a "chemical used in the pulp purification process". It can be deadly at certain levels. Irritation in the eyes, throat, and nose can be caused by lower levels of the gas.
The leak is currently under investigation, which could last for several days.
There are no known injuries at this time but it is unclear how much chlorine dioxide was released into the air.