Tallahassee, Fla. (WTXL) - The university is asking 11 semi-finalists to interview. The decision comes after protests from students, which stalled the meeting for about an hour. Three student protesters were escorted out of the meeting due to disruptions. Protesters were asking for a restructuring of the presidential search process. They also asked Senator Thrasher to be removed from the list of candidates, which failed by an 18 to 8 vote.
The committee released the final list of candidates for the position this afternoon.
- Michael D. Amiridis – Provost at University of South Carolina
- Arthur B. Ellis – Provost and Professor of Chemistry at City University of Hong Kong
- Daniel Mark Fogel – Professor of English at University of Vermont
- J. Murray Gibson – Founding Dean in the College of Science at Northeastern University
- John Paul Jones III – Dean of the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences at University of Arizona
- Richard Marchase – Vice President for Research and Economic Development at University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Michael V. Martin – Chancellor of the Colorado State University System
- Kate C. Miller – Dean of the College of Geosciences at Texas A&M University
- Garnett S. Stokes – Interim President at Florida State University
- John E. Thrasher – State Senator of Florida
- Michele G. Wheatly – Former Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs at West Virginia University
Interviews are happening Monday and Tuesday of next week, with the first one starting at 8:30 Monday morning.