Four families displaced after fire destroys Bainbridge building

Posted at 4:46 PM, May 10, 2017
and last updated 2017-05-10 14:22:30-04

BAINBRIDGE, Ga. (WTXL) - At least four families are homeless after a fire completely destroyed a building in Bainbridge.

Early Wednesday morning, the fire burned quickly through a building on North Broad Street right down the road from City Hall. Crews worked to tear down the building late this afternoon.

Fire officials say it was a safety hazard.

Many residents are still in shock and grateful they made it out alive.

The fire started in a bed in the apartment on the far right side of the building. Firefighters are working to find out if the fire is accidental or intentionally set.