(WTXL) — Recently reelected Gov. Ron DeSantis earned a 58 percent approval rating in a nationwide survey conducted by 24/7 Wall Street.
It is the seventh highest in the country, ahead of Texas, Arkansas and Alabama.
All elected politicians are subject to intense scrutiny, be it political and personal values, public interest or the economy. Many factors shape public opinion, and no single variable seems to explain a high or low approval rating.
According to 24/7 Wall Street, the availability of gainful employment is often among the most serious concerns for voters. While unemployment rates didn't track with governor popularity in all 50 states, seven of the top 10 states with the most popular governors have unemployment rates as low or lower than the 3.5% national December jobless rate. Florida’s unemployment rate is 3.2 percent, as of October 2019.
After a year in office, the Naval and Congressional veteran embraced medical marijuana, increased environmental funding and fines for illegal raw sewage spills, called for a spending increase of nearly $1 billion for teacher pay, but sided against an increase to minimum wage.
DeSantis started 2020 with a 65 percent approval rating in a Mason-Dixon poll, including a 40 percent approval from Florida Democrats.
He isn’t up for re-election, until 2022, but may be a viable contender for president in 2024.
10 Most Popular Governors
1. Gov. Mark Gordon (R) of Wyoming. – Approval Rating: 69%
2. Gov. Larry Hogan (R) of Maryland – Approval Rating: 69%
3. Gov. Charlie Baker (R) of Massachusetts – Approval Rating:69%
4. Gov. Phil Scott (R) of Vermont – Approval Rating: 65%
5. Gov. Chris Sununu (R) of New Hampshire – Approval Rating: 59%
6. Gov. Doug Burgum (R) of North Dakota – Approval Rating: 58%
7. Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) of Florida – Approval Rating: 58%
8. Gov. Greg Abbott (R) of Texas – Approval Rating: 58%
9. Gov. Asa Hutchinson (R) of Arkansas – Approval Rating: 58%
10. Gov. Kay Ivey (R) of Alabama – Approval Rating: 58%
10 Least Popular Governors
1. Gov. Dave Ige (D) of Hawaii – Approval Rating: 32%
2. Gov. Ned Lamont (D) of Connecticut – Approval Rating: 32%
3. Gov. Gina Raimondo (D) of Rhode Island – Approval Rating: 35%
4. Gov. Kate Brown (D) of Oregon – Approval Rating: 37%
5. Gov. Mike Dunleavy (R) of Alaska – Approval Rating: 42%
6. Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D) of Michigan – Approval Rating: 42%
7. Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) of California – Approval Rating: 42%
8. Gov. Ralph Northam (D) of Virginia – Approval Rating: 42%
9. Gov. Kristi Noem (R) of South Dakota – Approval Rating: 43%
10. Gov. Jim Justice (R) of West Virginia – Approval Rating: 43%
Governor approval ratings are based on survey data collected during the fourth quarter of 2019 and range from 32% to 69%.