ALBANY, GA (WALB) - The Southwest Health District confirmed that there has been one flu-related death in the area this year.
In 2017, there were four flu-related deaths in the district. There were none the previous year.
In 2015, there was one flu-related death, and two in 2014, according to the Southwest Health District.
The Health District and Phoebe officials say you should follow the following advice to stay well:
- Avoid contact with people who have the flu.
- Seek medical attention quickly if you develop symptoms. Antiviral medication may shorten the severity and duration of the flu if you contract the illness.
- If you are sick, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone, except to get medical care or other necessities.
- Cover your nose and your mouth when you cough or sneeze.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if you are unable to wash your hands.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth and nose to prevent germs from spreading.
- Clean and disinfect frequently-touched surfaces and objects.
Copyright 2018 WALB. All rights reserved.