Family of 4 Displaced After Lit Cigarette Sparks House Fire

Posted at 10:10 PM, Mar 10, 2015
and last updated 2018-08-07 10:20:05-04

SUWANNEE CO., Fla. (WTXL) - A family is currently homeless after a weekend fire in Suwannee County. It happened about 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 7, 2015 at a mobile home on 206th Terrace.

According to Fire Marshal Tim White, the fire was caused by a lit cigarette.

Suwannee County Fire Rescue says the grandmother was the only one home at the time. They believe she lit a cigarette, put it in the ash tray and got up to work on something, and the dog may have knocked it over.

No injuries were reported. The dog was also not injured.

The home was a total loss and the family of four is displaced.