Emergency room visits spike during Thanksgiving

Emergency room visits spike during Thanksgiving
Emergency room visits spike during Thanksgiving
Posted at 4:31 PM, Nov 19, 2018
and last updated 2018-11-19 16:31:00-05

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) - Thanksgiving is just around the corner and we all want to give thanks from the comfort of our home, surrounded by family, friends, and food. 

What we don't want to do is end up in the ER, but that's where many people in Florida and the US find themselves on Turkey Day, with injuries, that for the most part could have been avoided. 

Cooking fires spike on Thanksgiving and so do emergency room visits. The National Fire Protection Agency reports a 241-percent increase in fires on Thanksgiving day and burns are a top reason for those visits. 

Local fire officials said unattended cooking is the number one cause of home residential structure fires in America. They warn to never leave the stove unattended while cooking and be especially careful with turkey fryers.  

"One thing that is critical, do not thaw out a frozen turkey in the turkey fryer. If they are frozen, the oil will react and you can have a flash fire," said Deputy Chief Richard Jones, with the Tallahassee Fire Department. "Have the bird completely thawed out and use a paper towel to make sure it is completely dry."  

Knife injuries, food poisoning, over-exertion on the backyard grid iron, and driving accidents are other things to be careful of this holiday season, many of which, experts say, can be avoided by drinking responsibly.