Dozens sickened after carbon monoxide leak at Miami office

Miami Carbon Monoxide
Posted at 10:36 AM, Apr 05, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-05 10:36:00-04

MIAMI - Dozens of people have been sickened after a carbon monoxide leak at a Miami office building.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Chief Rogelio Vandamas tells media outlets that high levels of carbon monoxide were found on the second floor Monday afternoon.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue spokeswoman Erika Benitez says several people were showing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.

At least 17 people were taken to hospitals, while dozens more were treated at the scene and released.

About 80 people were sent home because they felt sick. Approximately 400 people work at the building.

Officials say the source of the leak came from the drains in the first floor bathrooms.

Benitez says an environmental assessment company has been contacted to ensure necessary repairs are made.