Dozens have died after leaving keyless cars running

Dozens have died after leaving keyless cars running
Posted at 8:02 AM, May 14, 2018
and last updated 2018-05-14 04:13:48-04

(CNN) - Drivers of keyless cars may want to be a little more cautious.

At least 28 people have died of carbon monoxide poisoning since 2006 because drivers forgot to turn off the ignition, according to a Sunday report in the New York Times.

Three years ago, there was a class action lawsuit linked to carbon monoxide deaths and keyless cars.

However, that suit was dismissed by a judge in 2016.

The Society of Automotive Engineers called for automakers to have features, like beeps, to warn drivers if their vehicles were still running.

Some car companies agreed to do so voluntarily, but others have not.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced in car exhaust. The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

The National Highway Safety Administration recommends reading your car's manual for more information about the key fob for your keyless ignition works, never getting out of the car while it is running and taking the key fob with you every time you leave your car.

Copyright 2018 CNN. All rights reserved. Raycom News Network contributed to this report.