Tallahassee, Fla. (WTXL) - The Tallahassee Forestry Center wants to make sure you're prepared for wildfire season.
Florida experiences a year round wildfire season with peaks during the spring and summer months. Florida Wildlife Officials are offering tips on how to protect your home, as well as how to create a Wildfire Action Plan.
- Provide 30'-60' buffer zone of defensible space around the home.
- Remove weeds, brush, or other flammable vegetation close to the home.
- Use fire resistant landscaping and building materials.
- Clean rooftops and empty gutters.
- Establish evacuation routs and safe meeting locations.
- Decide on best communication practices for you and your family.
- Locate fire extinguishers in the home and be prepared to use them.
- Assemble 2 emergency supply kits, one for inside your home and one for outside of your home.
Officials also suggest practicing your action plan on a monthly basis to reduce stress and avoid confusion. For more information, you can visit www.freshfromflorida.com.