SARASOTA, FL (WWSB) – The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office was called to Benderson Park for multiple car burglaries on Sunday.
The string of burglaries were between 4-4:30 p.m. Purses were stolen out of five vehicles.
The burglars used a smash and grab style to steal the purses.
As a result of this, investigators want to remind the public that crimes like these can be prevented. They say to leave items you don’t need at home and to plan ahead.
The top five common sense tips to prevent vehicle burglaries are:
- Keep windows closed and doors locked. The majority of local vehicle burglaries are to unlocked cars and the crime wouldn’t happen if the door didn’t open.
- Hide your valuables. Stash your things out of sight, preferably in a locked trunk. Even criminals know to check the glove box, under a towel or beneath the seat.
- If you have an SUV or another model with an open cargo area, get a retractable fitted cover to keep items hidden.
- Stow your items before you park. Experienced thieves stake out parking lots to watch for people putting items in their trunk.
- Trust your instincts. Avoid parking in unlit or overly concealed areas. If you see someone suspicious, tell security or contact local law enforcement.