DECATUR COUNTY, Ga. (WTXL)--A Decatur County woman escapes a house fire after she is alerted by a passerby.
The resident, Rosa Williams, told Decatur County Fire and Rescue she plugged in a heat lamp on her back porch to keep her baby chicks warm.
She then laid down to take a nap, and her house on East River Road went up in flames.
A man frantically knocked at her door yelling that her house was on fire.
Williams made it out safely, but her baby chicks died. Firefighters say they believe the fire started from the heat lamp, possibly shorted out.