Crews Battle House Fire in Tallahassee

Fire generic
Posted at 5:42 PM, Mar 25, 2017
and last updated 2017-03-25 19:39:42-04

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) - The Red Cross is helping one person after a fire damaged a home in Tallahassee Friday.

It happened just after 6 p.m. at a single family home on Portland Avenue. Firefighters say they saw heavy smoke and fire when they got on scene. Crews quickly worked to contain the fire to the kitchen.

A Tallahassee Fire Department rep says the fire was started by unattended cooking, causing an estimated $15,000 in damage. No one was home at the time of the fire and there are no reported injuries.