TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) - The City of Tallahassee announces several new summer programs to keep teens busy this summer.
They are a part of the recently introduced Operation Safe Neighborhoods initiative, hoping to curb violent crime in the Tallahassee community.
The programs seek to offer free, safe alternatives for late nights during the summer.
This includes movie night in the park, which runs now until August 1. Four community centers and Cascades Park will serve as theaters for the night, and complimentary popcorn and drinks will be provided at each movie.
Teen Top Chef will allow teens to attend cooking and nutrition classes throughout the summer. Classes will be held from 6 – 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from June 22 through July 27. Tuesday classes will take place at the Lawrence-Gregory Community Center, Wednesday classes will take place at the Jack McLean Community Center and Thursday classes will take place at the Walker-Ford Community Center. At the end of the summer, participating teens will have a cook-off using fresh fruits and vegetables. Teens looking to sign up should contact the participating community centers as space is limited.
Hoopfest 2K15 is a free co-ed summer basketball league, hosted by the Jack McLean Community Center for teens ages 13 through 19. Teens can register by contacting any community center. Important dates are listed below.
- Wednesday, June 17 – Registration Closes
- Saturday, June 20 – Coaches Scouting Clinic from 12 – 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 23 – Players Draft from 6 – 9 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 30 – Season Starts
- Saturday, July 18 – All-Star Weekend from 2 – 6 p.m.
- Thursday, July 30 – Season Finale
- Playoffs and Championship games for HoopFest will be held August 4 – 6.
Move Night in the Park events include the following dates and locations:
- Tuesday, June 16, at 6:30 p.m. – Jack McLean Community Center, 700 Paul Russell Road
- Thursday, June 18, at 6:30 p.m. – Lawrence-Gregory Community Center, 1115 Dade Street
- Thursday, June 25, at 6:30 p.m. – Jack McLean Community Center
- Saturday, June 27, at 6:30 p.m. – Walker-Ford Community Center, 2301 Pasco Street
- Saturday, June 27, at 8:30 p.m. – Cascades Park, 1001 S. Gadsden Street
- Thursday, July 2, at 6:30 p.m. – Jake Gaither Community Center, 801 Bragg Drive
- Thursday, July 9, at 6:30 p.m. – Lawrence-Gregory Community Center
- Saturday, July 11, at 6:30 p.m. – Walker-Ford Community Center
- Thursday, July 16, at 6:30 p.m. – Jake Gaither Community Center
- Saturday, July 18, at 8:30 p.m. – Cascades Park
- Thursday, July 23, at 6:30 p.m. – Lawrence-Gregory Community Center
- Tuesday, July 28, at 6:30 p.m. – Jake Gaither Community Center
- Thursday, July 30, at 6:30 p.m. – Lawrence-Gregory Community Center
- Saturday, August 1, at 6:30 p.m. – Walker-Ford Community Center