McKINNEY, Texas (AP)-- Six children in Texas have been injured by an explosion that happened after gas was poured from a can onto an open fire pit.
Four children have been airlifted to an area hospital after the Monday afternoon explosion in McKinney, north of Dallas. McKinney fire department spokeswoman Stacie Durham says the six children are believed to have been left unsupervised in the backyard, where a fire was burning. Adults were inside the home.
Durham says at least one of the children sprinkled gasoline from a can onto the fire and left the can near the pit. She says fumes from the can ignited.
All six children were near the can when it exploded.
The children range from ages 4 to 11.