Child Playing With Fire Displaces Nearly 20 in Thomasville Apt Fire

Fire Truck
Posted at 10:28 PM, Feb 20, 2015
and last updated 2015-02-20 17:31:35-05

THOMASVILLE, Ga. (WTXL) - Nearly 20 people are homeless after a fire started in Wood Valley Apartments on Warner Street in Thomasville.

According to Thomasville Fire Rescue, the fire started in a bedroom, and a child in the unit admitted to playing with matches or a lighter.

The fire happened Thursday about 10:45 a.m. Firefighters say it took about an hour to control the flames. They say the high winds made it difficult to extinguish.

The top floor, where the fire occurred, received damage as did the bottom floor, which has water and smoke damage.

The fire department says no charges will be filed against the child.

No one was injured. The Red Cross is helping out with food for the displaced families.