Protecting Your Pets from Halloween Hazards

Posted at 8:15 AM, Oct 27, 2015
and last updated 2015-10-27 08:15:00-04

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) -- It's Halloween Week on WTXL Sunrise.

Tuesday morning, we learned about tips for dealing with your pets if they get into your Halloween haul.

Dr. Sherri Kasper and Dr. Heather Williams from the The Animal Hospital & Pet Resort at Southwood joined us for some advice.

The vets warn of the sweetener xylito. It's found in many gums and other sweets, and is very toxic to dogs. They say in small quantities, milk chocolate is usually not toxic to pets, but the darker chocolates may lead to heart arrhythmia and severe upset stomach. Call your veterinarian if your pet ingests any amount of chocolate in order to identify if the amount ingested is toxic.

There are some other scary parts of Halloween for pet owners.

Dr. Kasper and Dr. Williams say many pets will be anxious when people are walking by the house or ringing the doorbell during trick-or-treat time. If your pet tends to get anxious, they recommend crating your pet or making certain the animal is restrained in an area they feels safe. They also say you can consider sitting outside and waiting for trick-or treaters instead of having them knock on the door.

Cats and dogs are notorious for knocking things off of counter tops and tables. Keep that in mind when decorating, especially with candles. Plus, many materials used to make cobwebs are dangerous. Birds may use the material for nests which can then wrap around their legs and toes. Cats and dogs can get tangled in the material.

The vets also say cats should be kept inside during Halloween. "There are many increased threats including increased night time traffic, abusive ritual behavior, and toxicities."

The Animal Hospital & Pet Resort at Southwood is located at 2528 Capital Circle SE in Tallahassee.

For more information, call (850) 942-6650 or follow them on Facebook.