Tallahassee, FL (WTXL) -- Rental scams are on the rise, and in a city with a large amount of rental properties, law enforcement officers want you to know how to protect yourself from becoming a victim.
WTXL ABC 27's Jade Bulecza sat down with investigator Rachelle Denmark from the Tallahassee Police Department to learn more.
Red flags to look for when you're scanning the internet for rental property:
- Prices that may seem too good to be true: scan the market and compare what similar properties usually cost
- Only handling a sale over e-mail: you should get to meet the seller/landlord in purchase before committing
- Wiring money: transactions will never be handed electronically, especially with no sort of accountability present
- Asking for a deposit before you've signed a lease
- Keys being sent through the mail: you should be given keys to a property in a face-to-face setting.