The National Weather Service in Tallahassee has issued a freeze warning for several local counties in our coverage area.
NWS Tallahassee says a light freeze is expected across most of the area early Wednesday morning. The freeze warning will go into effect at 3 a.m. Wednesday and will last until 9 a.m.
Minimum temperatures are expected to dip as low as 27 degrees.
The following counties are covered in the alert: Calhoun; Central Walton; Gadsden; Holmes; Inland Bay; Inland Dixie; Inland Franklin; Inland Gulf; Inland Jefferson; Inland Taylor; Inland Wakulla; Jackson; Lafayette; Leon; Liberty; Madison; North Walton; Washington.
A freeze warning means that sub-freezing temperatures are imminent or highly likely. These conditions will typically kill crops and other sensitive vegetation.
To prepare for Wednesday morning's potentially freezing weather, you should remember these tips:
- Protect plants by covering them with blankets or bringing them inside,
- Protect pets by bringing them inside or giving them dry, warm outside shelter away from the wind
- Protect pipes by running a small stream of water from your faucets
- Protect the most vulnerable groups (i.e. elderly and children) by making sure they are adequately layered, especially at night
- Inspect any heating equipment before use