TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) - A local nonprofit is hosting a donation drive in Tallahassee throughout the month of January.
Go Foster! is a nonprofit organization founded in 2013 dedicated to recruiting and retaining great foster and adoptive parents in Florida.
Go Foster! co-founder Dr. Willy Bolander told WTXL ABC27's Abbey Maurer, "In the Florida panhandle, there are over 1700 foster children, but less than 600 foster homes."
Go Foster! is coordinating an "underwear drive" through January 31, 2016 to collect underwear, socks and pajamas for local foster children who often go without these essential items.
Tallahassee residents are encouraged to buy the above items, any size, any gender, and drop them off at one of several local businesses participating in this drive, including:
* Paisley Café (1123 Thomasville Rd.)
* Soleil 7 Hair Salon (1318 N. Monroe St.)
* Dave's Pizza Garage (1216 N. Monroe St.)
* Au Peche Mignon (1415 Timberlane Rd.)
* Finnegan's Wake Irish Pub (1122 Thomasville Rd.)
* Wash Around the Clock LaundryMats (three sites - 220 W. Tharpe St., 2256 W. Pensacola St., and 1338 Lake Bradford Rd.)
* Community Thrift Market (1211 N. Monroe St.)
* Pinch A Penny (6668 Thomasville Rd.)
* The Power Plant (at the Edison/Cascades Park – 470 Suwannee St.)
* Canopy Road Café (two sites – 1913 N. Monroe St and 2202 NE Capital Cir.)
* Merv's Melt Shop (825 Railroad Ave.)
* Up In Smoke Pit BBQ (402 E. Tennessee St.)
In addition, the following area churches are serving as donation drop off locations:
* Northwoods Baptist Church (3762 Capital Cir NW)
* Crossbridge Christian Church (200 South Duval Street)
* Cornerstone Presbyterian Church (2904 Kerry Forest Pkwy)
* Wildwood Church (100 Ox Bottom Rd)
People can also make financial contributions online at www.gofoster.org.
More information about the drive can be found at www.facebook.com/gofosterinc.