NewsFlorida News

Actions

UCF contractor burned in chemical reaction inside building

Posted: 5:41 PM, Feb 18, 2019
Updated: 2019-02-18 22:41:15Z

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a chemical reaction inside a University of Central Florida maintenance building caused a contractor to suffer serious burns.

Orange County Fire Rescue spokesman Mike Jachles says a 29-year-old contractor was injured in the explosion Monday afternoon and taken to a hospital. No students were affected by the incident.

Officials believe the contractor was transferring powdered chemicals when a static charge caused the reaction. No one else was in the employee-only building at the time.