TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) - With three structure fires in the Tallahassee region over the weekend from people just trying to stay warm, it's important that we heat our homes in a safe manner.
Many residents use their central heater to stay warm, but a small number of folks prefer to light a fire in the fireplace. While this gives ample heat, it could pose some dangers.
Built up soot within the chimney could catch fire and cracks in the fire shaft could allow embers to fall through and smolder the foundation beneath. And remember during the holiday season, decorations need to stay clear from the heat of the fire.
“This time of year everybody’s got stockings and things like that hanging from their mantle," says Luke Gray, who owns North Florida Chimney Sweeps. "Anything that is in direct line, you want to move those to the side. Couches, anything around the front of the fireplace, around the hearth. You want to stay, I'd say, at least six feet away from there to prevent any kind of embers from popping out and catching any of that on fire.”
It's recommended that you get your chimney cleaned and inspected at least once a year.